PDA

View Full Version : linode VPS

Cezz
09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Just wondering who else here was using linode?

I love linode, they are cheap powerful and give you full control just like a VPS should.

They have VPS' starting at just $19.95, though personally I run two Linode 1024 priced at $39.95 each... between the two servers I run about 15+ sites of which 3 are very high memory usage sites!

What about you? are you with linode, or have you ever been? if not who do you have your VPS with?

MustangV10
09-07-2011, 11:30 AM
$40 for a 1GB RAM VPS is far too expensive in my opinion. ShockingHost will do 2GB RAM for $25 per month, plus they offer more space and bandwidth.

MustangV10
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Personally $39 for 1 GB VPS is not very expensive as quality matters, there are many sellers around which sell at very cheap rate at the end their service and support is trash.

ShockingHost are made up of quality and they're the price they are..I can't see anything about linode that makes them that much more expensive.

tx10
09-08-2011, 01:39 AM
ShockingHost are made up of quality and they're the price they are..I can't see anything about linode that makes them that much more expensive.
I can tell from your other posts that you don't do anything remotely serious with your servers, so for you the difference is negligible (save your money), but if you're looking to launch a real website you plan to grow and make a profit from, you'll want a premium VPS. Notice how "Shocking Host" prices themselves well below the budget zone? What do you think that means? They're trying to attract quality customers?

Easiest way to put it is Linode's ecosystem isn't full of noobs trying to run web hosts, pissing off support staff with silly questions ("Where's my cPanel?!"), and expecting to get everything for pennies. Thus resulting in an overall better network, less downtime, better server hardware, and a support team willing to take you and your website seriously.

I'd also like to point out that Shocking Host doesn't mention any of their VPS hardware specs (not even CPU speed), which cannot be a good thing at all.

MustangV10
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I can tell from your other posts that you don't do anything remotely serious with your servers, so for you the difference is negligible (save your money), but if you're looking to launch a real website you plan to grow and make a profit from, you'll want a premium VPS. Notice how "Shocking Host" prices themselves well below the budget zone? What do you think that means? They're trying to attract quality customers?

Easiest way to put it is Linode's ecosystem isn't full of noobs trying to run web hosts, pissing off support staff with silly questions ("Where's my cPanel?!"), and expecting to get everything for pennies. Thus resulting in an overall better network, less downtime, better server hardware, and a support team willing to take you and your website seriously.

I'd also like to point out that Shocking Host doesn't mention any of their VPS hardware specs (not even CPU speed), which cannot be a good thing at all.

Since I've been with ShockingHost, I haven't had any downtime, except those times when I made the server go down deliberately for upgrades, such as when I moved from Apache to LSWS. Most people buy VPS' from ShockingHost, people don't buy VPS' if they have no idea how to use them, or have someone who would be willing to help them out. Considering I have a dedicated server with them, I get all my own hardware, I set the limits and have full control.

Inphex
09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Since I've been with ShockingHost, I haven't had any downtime, except those times when I made the server go down deliberately for upgrades, such as when I moved from Apache to LSWS. Most people buy VPS' from ShockingHost, people don't buy VPS' if they have no idea how to use them, or have someone who would be willing to help them out. Considering I have a dedicated server with them, I get all my own hardware, I set the limits and have full control.

You make them sound very good, I might have to check them out sometime.

MustangV10
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
You make them sound very good, I might have to check them out sometime.

You really should, the owner is more than qualified to be running ShockingHost. He's a former staff member of MyBB forum software which shows knowledge/experience of PHP, MySQL, etc (core components of forums)..It takes quite a bit to be accepted for the mybb staff team.

Inphex
09-09-2011, 08:08 PM
You really should, the owner is more than qualified to be running ShockingHost. He's a former staff member of MyBB forum software which shows knowledge/experience of PHP, MySQL, etc (core components of forums)..It takes quite a bit to be accepted for the mybb staff team.

That does sound impressive, you're good at making him sound good haha.

MustangV10
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
That does sound impressive, you're good at making him sound good haha.

He's done a LOT for me in the past...I prefer the service ShockingHost has to offer than big companies such as HostGator. HostGator would just suspend you if there were any problems, where as ShockingHost are reasonable about it and give you time to resolve any problems.

Cezz
09-09-2011, 08:31 PM
He's done a LOT for me in the past...I prefer the service ShockingHost has to offer than big companies such as HostGator. HostGator would just suspend you if there were any problems, where as ShockingHost are reasonable about it and give you time to resolve any problems.

I don't mean to be funny but with the prices that are being offered my only thought is that he must be oversubscribing his servers... As an example linode only put the same size plans on one server so there is no mixture and the CPU,RAM etc advertised is your share of the server, a server holding Linode 1024 plans will only have a maximum of 20 Linodes on it, can your friend at ShockingHost say the same that there is absolutely no oversubscribing... linode by far is still my host of choice and will remain that way, the service was built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and extra features like their lish terminal and extremely fast deployment of new OS.

MustangV10
09-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't mean to be funny but with the prices that are being offered my only thought is that he must be oversubscribing his servers... As an example linode only put the same size plans on one server so there is no mixture and the CPU,RAM etc advertised is your share of the server, a server holding Linode 1024 plans will only have a maximum of 20 Linodes on it, can your friend at ShockingHost say the same that there is absolutely no oversubscribing... linode by far is still my host of choice and will remain that way, the service was built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and extra features like their lish terminal and extremely fast deployment of new OS.

Please be patient, I'll get the owner to reply to this himself. He can best inform you of their server policies.

SH - Conor
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello Guys,
Sorry for the delayed reply. I am the CEO/MD at ShockingHost.

We most definitely do not oversell our servers. We all start our hosting a single personal website which ends up growing and growing. I did. I ended up on many oversold webhosts and got frustrated all the time. Now that I am the MD of one, why would I make others go through the frustration I went through? If we where a free webhost, that would be different; but NO paying client should be on an oversold server. Ever.

Everyone has a host of choice. I personally like HostDime and a few others. I am glad to see though that people are happy at ShockingHost.

Thanks.

Cezz
09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Hello Guys,
Sorry for the delayed reply. I am the CEO/MD at ShockingHost.

We most definitely do not oversell our servers. We all start our hosting a single personal website which ends up growing and growing. I did. I ended up on many oversold webhosts and got frustrated all the time. Now that I am the MD of one, why would I make others go through the frustration I went through? If we where a free webhost, that would be different; but NO paying client should be on an oversold server. Ever.

Everyone has a host of choice. I personally like HostDime and a few others. I am glad to see though that people are happy at ShockingHost.

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply... do you mind giving us some more details about your setup?

E.G. The spec of your servers you are hosting the VPS on? Are you co-locating or using a Dedicated box sold by another company? etc

SH - Conor
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello Again; No problem. As I have often said, I am not the type of owner who just sits behind a desk or going golfing. Not only because I don't like golf, but because its not good for management to not have some PR work. :)

We have a total of 12 nodes that we use for hosting clients. These clients are checked against MaxMind during the order process for any issues that may indicate fraud (as you can imagine, in this industry, there is alot of it!)

Our 12 nodes are spread out between Pennsylvania, Florida, New Jersey and New York but all use the same network hosts. We do not own these servers (as it would be far to expensive for us which would mean clients having to pay more. The reason being most staff are British; including myself which means transportation would take ages from UK to the datacenter and so would any components needed. Being hosted DIRECTLY by the Datacenter (our hosts own, or have shares in the datacenter) means we are guaranteed quick repairs under there SLA.)

Specs, off the top of my head as I am obviously very busy at this time. HDD 2x1TB with RAID II. 12GB RAM, 4GB SWAP (which gets upgraded as/if needed) Quad-core (8 threads) i7 CPU. This is for MERCURY which is the latest node we have added to our family of nodes. Other nodes have different specs; but are around that same area.

Thanks again.

moin11
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I am not wit linode because it is a very expensive because it gives 1GB VPS in 39$.There are many companies which are providing 1GB VPS in less amount.

frank adams
01-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Well thanks a lot for sharing such a nice post and it is really informative I like the posts of all members as they are so true and knowledgeable..