Host Speech Sponsors

Closed Thread
    Host Master

Overselling on a VPS ....

Well one of the problem that the user dont like is the company Overselling the resources of the VPS just to make a couple of bucks ...

So how do you guys know or try to know that the company is overselling its resources or not ?

Host Master
    Are you talking about sellers which oversell vps's on dedicated or seller who oversell shared hosting on the vps? Please clarify.

If you taking about overselling of vps on dedicated than most of the people using openvps do little or more overselling.But if you want more dedicated resource in your vps than it is better to go with xen vps.

Host Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    Are you talking about sellers which oversell vps's on dedicated or seller who oversell shared hosting on the vps? Please clarify.

If you taking about overselling of vps on dedicated than most of the people using openvps do little or more overselling.But if you want more dedicated resource in your vps than it is better to go with xen vps.

Yeah here i am talking about overselling VPS on a dedicated server ...and about xen i have heard some good thing that it cant really be oversold because of some technical thing ..

i dont really know about that easily ..

But what is it ? ....i mean is it true ?

Host Designer
    I have also not any confirm news about xen. yes luckyshah283, i have heard about this matter but not confirmed, thus not comment anything.

Host Master
    I also too don't have a clear solution for this problem but I think you can check main server specs with some ssh commands and than you can ask your host how many vps they sell per server in that way you can have idea whether hoster is overselling.

Host Master
    Yes their is not direct way to confirm whether a host is overselling or not the method told by darkrider is the best in my opinion.

Super Noob
    with openvz you can't never know if it's oversold,
    with xen you can see if xen balon are on - which means that memory are oversold with this command: cat /proc/xen/balloon

if you see anything return when you enter this command its means this vps are oversold memory.

Baby Hoster
    This would seem better in the VPS Forum
    HostSoch - Web Hosting Company in India - http://www.hostsoch.in

We know OpenVZ VPS are generally oversold in either memory, disk space or bandwidth .
    Overselling memory and disk space is easy. You just vzctl create a new virtual environment regardless whether there is sufficient memory or disk space.
    whywirtualserver.com - Free Setup - Managed VPS Hosting - Hyper-V Virtualization forum

It's not possible to know however you can test and determine if there are frequent issues with your VPS.