Host Speech Sponsors

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Baby Hoster

cPanel is it worth the cost?

I have never used cPanel on any VPS and instead have stuck to administering the server directly using a combination of ssh, sftp and sshfs, though I have previously used panels like IPAdmin.

Recently I had a friend who wanted some half decent hosting and was going to offer up some space, knowing he isn't that knowledgeable in server management though I started looking at a control panel again and cPanel was one of them. I was gob smacked to see the price, seriously other than to massive companies is it really worth that much?

Host Master
    I would defently say yes! Check our their demo/trial to see what your missing, It may cost alot of money but it is defently worth it! Thing is with hosting, if you want to offer hosting to clients and other people etc you are advised to use cPanel as the control panel so it lets your clients customize their own stuff in their own package, access web mail, FTP access, etc etc, sub domains and much more, and for the actual VPS/DEDI owner, you get alot of control as much. So yes it is most defently worth it

Host Designer
    Cpanel has gained its popularity over the years,so it costs too also

Host Speech Heart
    Yes, it's worth it. If you install cPanel on a VPS, you also get WHM (the backend of cPanel). It's a great control panel and allows you to do pretty much anything from your server via your browser, occasionally you may need to use SSH to do some things.

cPanel is only for server newbies who have no clue about what they're doing. That said, if you were running the server on your own, I'd tell you not to buy it because it'll feel cumbersome and it'll use up your RAM and CPU like no other. If you really want to give some space to your friend, you might have no choice though...

You might like VHCS, it's less featured but it'll probably do what you want, and it's free.
    Own a web host? Advertise it here.

Host Designer
    I highly advise using cPanel with a VPS. It has so many addons and it is highly worth the price you pay. They offer so many services, and many built-in solutions to it. I think you should inquire to some hosts about it, as I know some hosts provide authorized discounts. It's a great control panel, with an easy interface, and a great look!
    s t i c k s a n d s t o n e s m a y b r e a k m y b o n e s ,
    s o w h y w o u l d n a m e s h u r t m e ?

Host Speech Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by tx10 View Post
    cPanel is only for server newbies who have no clue about what they're doing. That said, if you were running the server on your own, I'd tell you not to buy it because it'll feel cumbersome and it'll use up your RAM and CPU like no other. If you really want to give some space to your friend, you might have no choice though...

You might like VHCS, it's less featured but it'll probably do what you want, and it's free.
    That's not all true, I use cPanel for my clients for my hosting business, and use it's backend (WHM) as well, simply because it's a great product. I wouldn't pay for cPanel if it was personal hosting though, I'd just go for Webmin.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangV10 View Post
    That's not all true, I use cPanel for my clients for my hosting business, and use it's backend (WHM) as well, simply because it's a great product. I wouldn't pay for cPanel if it was personal hosting though, I'd just go for Webmin.
    That's because you're running a hosting business, probably consisting of people who don't know how to manage a server.

Host Speech Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by tx10 View Post
    That's because you're running a hosting business, probably consisting of people who don't know how to manage a server.
    We have two technicians who have A Level's in IT & Server Management, as well as knowledgeable tech's on the team. Do you have something against me?

Quote Originally Posted by MustangV10 View Post
    We have two technicians who have A Level's in IT & Server Management, as well as knowledgeable tech's on the team. Do you have something against me?
    I was referring to your customers, not your staff. cPanel is great for hosting companies because people who use shared hosting often don't know how to run their own server. My point is, if you have a server to yourself, there is absolutely no reason to install a panel.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast